Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday 12 January 2020

An Introduction to Historic Reston Bricks and Boards


Welcome! I am glad you found your way here, to my new blog.  With 2020 marking Manitoba’s 150th, a blog to focus on the stories of the homes and buildings in the Reston area seems to interest me.  Although none are as old as that of course, many are well over 100 years.  Fires and demolitions made me realize these symbols of the past may soon be gone in brick and board but they remain in the memory of those who spent time within their walls. Recording the pictures and memories of former homes for future generations is my goal.

The photo above taken in January 2020 is the same scene in the top banner of the blog.  That postcard, along with many others of Reston, can be found at the Prairie Towns website here. http://www.prairie-towns.com/reston-images.html

I’m starting off easy on myself by posting the writings of others in the community on this topic.  My thanks to Dolores Caldwell at the Reston Recorder for allowing me access to their archives and Fletch Manning for her articles that I recalled were published in the local paper from the early 2000's to 2012.  The research done and recorded by Fletch was an excellent starting point and inspiration. 

I know that many of this blog readers will have information, pictures and stories of these and other houses in the area. I hope you get in touch with me to add further information, old pictures and correct me as well. You can contact me at ssimms@escape.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment