Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday 6 November 2022

People of Our Past - Reston Girls Club

Is it by Google searching the name of your mother, grandmother or great grandmother that landed you on this blog post today?  Maybe it was another female ancestor and maybe this is the first time you've seen their face?  Mission accomplished!  I receive emails occasionally from someone who stumbled across one of my family history posts who is connected and the internet hits I've found myself over the years make me think this my be an important post today. No one will find connections to the pictures that I have on the hard drive of my computer, I need to post them!

Picture supplied to the Reston Recorder by Alex Milliken of Penticton, B.C. sometime in the 1980's (?)

 Top row - left to right Jessiemen Prentice (Mrs. Gordon Mathews), Nellie Brown, Mabel Hales, Unknown, Polly McDougall (Mrs. J. Cadham), Mary Milliken (Mrs. J. Jardine), Marion Robertson (Mrs. Art Manning), Elsie Prentice, Jewel Brown (Mrs. Peach), Grace Shippam, Mae Jackson

Bottom row - left to right Lizzie Bulloch (Mrs. Jos. Robertson), Edith Bulloch (Mrs. Lloyd Fumerton), Ida Rankin (Mrs. Merv Evans), Annie MacLachlan (Mrs. Clyde Bulloch), Ethel Hales (Mrs. Ralph Shippam), Edith Munro (Mrs. Herb McIntosh), Zel Collins, Ida Rankin (Mrs. Godin), Marie Burge (Mrs. McLean)


Text of clipping - Does anyone know when the above picture was taken?  It came courtesy of Alex Milliken of Penticton, B.C. And it came via the Berry collection from Burton Berry, who rescued the picture from an old granary on his farm.  

The girls are from left to right Vera Cavanaugh, Christine Guthrie, Grace Shippam, Jessie Prentice, Myrtle Evans, Elsie Prentice, Polly McDougall, Helen Brady, Dee Bulloch, Vicki Brown, Ethel Bingley, May Tanner, Janet McDonald, Ruth Morris

It is beloved that Christine Guthrie (Mrs. Christine Brinkworth of the Good Samaritan Nursing Home Southgate 4222-107th Street, Edmonton) is the only living member of the group. 

There are a few clues to date the photo.  The modest high neck style and hair-dos remind me of the Edwardian era - the early 1900's.  A check of Find a Grave for some of these ladies show they were born 1884-1887 era.  So I’m guessing the pictures were taken before 1910.  Leslie Eaton was one of the photographers of the Winnipeg Photo Company during this time.    

I am not able to supply much more information about todays post but it is really just a chance to share these photos. My hope is someone searching for one of these ladies will find the picture of her and that it might be the only one in existence. I did make links for the women to Find a Grave if I found them.  As always, I'd love to hear any more information about the ladies who called Reston "home" over a century ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment